John Hargis, Sr., is an independent candidate for for Colorado’s Third Congressional district. Questions are shown in bold. See the other replies to the survey at http://tinyurl.com/cosurvey10.
In a Twitter-length reply (140 characters maximum), please state why you are running for political office.
* Should the federal or state government spend money in an attempt to “stimulate” the economy? If so, on what sorts of projects?
No, but as they are intent on doing so. To set funds aside to back solvent and responsible institutions only.
* Should tax dollars be directed toward energy projects, tourism, or any other form of business subsidies?
No. Energy projects will not be self sustaining and will always require grants, the rest will take care of itself with regulation preventing outsourcing.
* (State-Level Candidates:) Should the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights be kept completely intact? If not, how should it be altered?
TABOR will not work if the unemployment rate rises above 3.5 %. Keep the basic right to vote on taxes, remove the rest.
* Should state or federal spending (depending on which office you seek) be higher or lower than it is currently?
Lower, reduce the unemployment rate and audit gov. after gen. election to eliminate waste.
* Should the state or federal minimum wage (depending on which office you seek) be repealed, maintained, or increased?
Maintained and add cost of living increases per projected inflation, not determined by previous year.
* Should college education be subsidized by tax dollars?
Only with scholarships.
* Should antitrust law or its enforcement be changed?
All laws must be open ended to develop as our country develops.
* (Federal-level candidates:) Should Sarbanes-Oxley be repealed?
Any act that fails must be replaced, but there also must be a replacement act that is developed to fix loop holes.
SOCIAL AND CHURCH/STATE ISSUES
What do you believe is meant by the “separation of church and state,” and do you endorse it?
Yes, but as our law’s were designed around God, representatives must have faith in God to honor the oath of office.
* Should religious institutions receive tax dollars for providing welfare or other faith-based services?
No, it is a matter of individual charity.
* Should the teaching of creationism or Intelligent Design be subsidized by tax dollars?
No, though i believe evolution and God go hand in hand, we were given a mind to use, free will is Gods gift to allow us to evolve.
* Should tax-funded schools establish a period of permitted or required prayer?
It should be allowed to those who wish to exercise their belief and allow them time to pray.
* Should government officials promote religiously oriented displays and comments on government property and at government events?
Only to the extent of their oath of office.
* Do you support gay marriage?
* If you answered no to the question above, do you support domestic partnerships, civil unions, or comparable legal recognition of gay couples?
Yes, freedom and free will go hand in hand.
* Should gay couples be allowed to adopt children by the same standards as heterosexual couples?
No, undue influence on children would deter the natural course of a childs development.
* Should government never, always, or sometimes mandate parental notification and consent before a minor may legally obtain an abortion, and, if sometimes, under what conditions?
Always, a parent is a childs guardian until adulthood, we cannot infringe upon that right.
* Should government mandate waiting periods or ultrasounds before a woman may legally obtain an abortion?
* Do you endorse the “personhood” measure that may appear on the 2010 ballot?
Life begins at inception.
* Should abortion be legal in cases of fetal deformity?
* Should abortion be legal in cases of rape or incest?
* Should abortion be legal in cases of risk to the woman’s life, as determined by the health professional selected by that woman?
If the fetus is healthy, then it should have priority.
* Should elective abortion be legal?
* If you believe that abortion should be legally restricted, what criminal penalties do you advocate for a woman and her doctor for obtaining or facilitating an illegal abortion?
Life in prison.
* Would execution ever be an appropriate penalty for obtaining or facilitating illegal abortions?
No, taking of one life to revenge another is not right.
* Should types of birth control be legal that may prevent a fertilized egg or zygote from implanting in the uterus?
* Should fertility treatments be legal that may result in the freezing or destruction of a fertilized egg or zygote?
* Should research involving the use of embryonic stem cells be legal?
If the stem cell’s can be harvested from the birth cord and placenta, then yes
* Should abortions or embryonic stem cell research be subsidized by tax dollars?
No, all research should have a financially self sustaining goal.
* (Federal-level candidates:) Should the U.S. expand a legal guest-worker program or legal immigration, and, if so, by how much?
No, if the unemployment rate is reduced to 1-2 %, then maybe.
* Should federal or state tax-funded benefits (depending on which office you seek), including K-12 education, be extended only to U.S. citizens, to legal immigrants and guest workers, or to everyone in the U.S. including illegal immigrants?
U.S. citizens, to legal immigrants and guest workers
* What restrictions, if any, should be placed on the use of eminent domain?
Only used for security or in case of necessary economic development with above normal restitution.
* Do you endorse the use of eminent domain in the case of the Pinon Canyon military expansion? Do you support the military expansion if it does not involve eminent domain?
No, the military’s playground is big enough.
* Should the Endangered Species Act be altered or differently enforced?
BILL OF RIGHTS
* Should McCain-Feingold and state campaign finance restrictions be repealed, maintained, or expanded?
Whole thing needs to be rewrote from scratch, too hard for Independents to compete.
* Should the federal government control what radio or television stations may broadcast?
Only in the case of child restrictions or child abuse.
* Should the FTC’s rules regarding blogger endorsements be rescinded?
* Should students with licenses be legally permitted to carry concealed handguns on the property of tax-subsidized colleges?
No, experience must dictate security.
* Should additional restrictions be added (or repealed) on gun ownership? Please specify.
Only in the issue of children and automatic weapons, minimum 21 years to practice with one under supervision.
* Do you believe that desecration of the U.S. flag should be outlawed by Constitutional amendment?
Yes, we must stand by the value’s that built this country, and those value’s include our flag.
* Do you believe that pornography or obscene materials involving consenting adults should be legally restricted?
* Should state or federal laws (depending on which office you seek) pertaining to marijuana be altered, and, if so, how?
If we allow marijuana by popular vote, then it should be restricted to a commune and subject to a limited time and frequency of use.
* If there is any important issue that you believe we have missed, please state what it is and state your position on it.
To give Independents in state and federal elections a chance, matching funds should be accorded as are in Presidential elections. American’s have limited options and Independents have no chance of succeeding in our monetary society.