Today the Rocky Mountain News published my article, “Lessons for U.S. politicians from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.” (The original title was “Harry Potter’s Lessons for Muggle Politicians,” but I like the new one just as well.)
John McCain and Barack Obama would benefit from a semester at Hogwarts (though I suppose they’d both end up causing trouble in Slytherin).
Here I offer just the highlights:
* Do the right thing even if it’s difficult.
* Be honest even when it’s inconvenient
* Don’t cling to power.
* Government is not always the answer.
* Sometimes government gets it wrong.
* Government should protect people’s rights.